Thursday 1 May 2008

Mayday: Retropop

After the hustle and bustle and drunken adventures of Vappu, all Finns gather the next day, on May Day: the European Labour Day, to relax in a large park. This day is celebrated with live entertainment, grilled food, Bar-B-Que's, and hundreds or people having a picnic styled lunch on the grass, in the [rare] warmth of the spring-summer sun. It become custom in France on the 1st of May, to give a sprig of lily of the valley, a symbol of springtime [and the national flower of Finland!], however, it's not the tradition [ironically] in Finland.

On this day, we met a lot of students we knew, and among the IMMITers present were: Kris, Marcos, Slavo, Biljo, Merie, Jose, Ting, Wasiq, and I [of course]... But the greatest event here was the live performance of RETROPOP!!! This was the [Finnish] band that we discovered on our Lapland trip through the Finnish radio stations. I can't believe I got to see them, the lead singer is soo cute; and we even went backstage to talk to them and express our greatest commitment to them as fans! It's just like before I left New York, I got to see Avril Lavigne [for free]; likewise, just before I left Finland, I got to see Retropop!

For more pictures see:


No comments: